Keep your dog entertained while staying safe indoors with a comfortable playpen. They come in a wide variety of styles and sizes, so learn the benefits of purchasing a dog or puppy playpen and how to choose the proper product for home or work use.
What is a Dog Playpen?
A playpen is a portable enclosure dedicated to keep the dog safe while they play. They can be set for indoor or outdoor use. Many pet owners purchase these products to receive the great benefits of owning one.
The main reason dog owners buy them is because they want to keep their pet safe. Whether they have a new puppy or an adult dog, a dog play pen can help make sure they are out of harm’s way.
Indoor & Outdoor
Depending on the type you will buy, you can set it up indoors or outdoors. Don’t hesitate placing it in the living room or in your backyard. This way, your pet can stay warm during the cold winter season, or get some fresh air while the sun is out. The possibilities are endless!
A quality playpen will give your puppy enough space to play and have fun. This way, you don’t have to worry about their safety as much.
Storage & Transport
After you are down with the enclosure, you can store it easily. Simply fold or take it apart and place it in a space where you know it will be safe. You can take these anywhere. Put it in your car or van and transport will be easy.
While your pet is inside the playpen cage, you can go and take care of other things. Grocery shopping, going to the post office, or getting a haircut are possible while your dog is inside the cage.
How to Pick the right one for your needs
When looking for a playpen, you want to make sure you know the characteristics of a quality product. Here are a few factors to consider when picking the right one for you.
Size & Space
A playpen should be large enough to give your pet enough space. Space is necessary for your dog to be able to play, eat, drink, and rest. Find out the exact measurements and at least an estimation of how much space the playpen can provide.
Another thing to consider is storage. You want a playpen that can be easily stowed away for later use.
Indoor or Outdoor
Some playpens are built for indoor use only; others are constructed for only outdoor usage. Be sure to read the description to see if they will be safe in certain environments. If you can find one that is for both indoor and outdoor use, then you’re golden.
Based on your preference, they come in myriad styles. Choose one based on the design and/or colors.
Materials & Construction
Each playpen will be different from one another in terms of quality materials and construction. Common materials used to make playpens include wire, plastic, and fabric. Durability and longevity should be found within how the pen is constructed.
Depending on the brand, size, capabilities, and overall quality materials/construction, price should be within reasonable range. While shopping. Don’t be afraid to compare prices between models and merchants.
Now that you know some of the characteristics and factors to consider while shopping online, take a look at some examples of the best reviewed playpens online based on customer satisfaction.
Here are some Top Rated Playpens Reviewed By Consumers. Best Sellers in their Category!
45″ Foldable Playpen Zampa
Zampa is a well-known pet products manufacturer that creates high caliber dog playpens for pets to enjoy. Your pet will be safe and sound with this foldable pet cage. This octagon-shaped enclosure is made up eight panels, all connected with protected seams to prevent rips and tears from the inside. Link to the product: http://amzn.to/2moeVaT
The reinforced corners provide extra strength and the water-resistant materials are great for durability. It is 45 inches in diameter and 24 inches in height, which creates ample room for your dog to walk and play inside. A floor mat is attached to protect your dog as well as your floor.
- Made with durable, water-resistant materials
- Protective floor mat, mesh, and reinforced corners
- Spacious for playing and resting inside
- Foldable and transportable
- Comes with water dispenser hole and a bottle holder
- External side pockets hold snacks and other items
- Great for small or young pets
- Not good for large dog breeds
- Weak zipper
- Hard to put inside carrying case
MidWest 552-30DR Foldable Metal Exercise Pen / Pet Playpen. Black w/ door, 24 W x 30 H Inch
9 used from $ 25.45
If you have a puppy or small adult dog, then the Zampa would be great to own. The protective materials will keep your pet inside without collapsing or be torn apart.
YoYo Moon 46″ D X 30″
YoYo Moon has released this massive, spacious playpen to allow your dog to have fun and exercise. Imagine having this beauty in your backyard while you are busy cleaning or cooking. Available in three color schemes (tan-black, blue-black, and pink-black), this model is 46 inches in diameter and 30 inches in height. Feel free to put their food or water bowls inside, or you can scatter dog toys for the pet to play with.
Like a spider has eight legs, this playpen has eight panels for design and structural purposes. It is made of mesh for proper air flow and Oxford cloth for robustness and waterproof capabilities. For safety and secureness, you will notice several zippers that will carefully seal your dog inside. Follow the link here to Amazon.com for the best price: http://amzn.to/2DbcJba
- Waterproof material for dryness and durability
- Foldable, portable, and light as a feather
- Steel, octagon frame within the Oxford cloth material for structural purposes
- Dual external storage bags for toys and other item
- Metal stakes included for outside usage
- Carrying bag included
- May collapse too easily
- Poor instructions to follow
- Weak zippers; may cause dog to escape
Ruff 'n Ruffus Portable Foldable Pet Playpen + Carrying Case & Collapsible Travel Bowl (Extra Large (48" x 48" x 23.5")) (Medium (29" x 29" x 17") with Free Bonus, Aqua)
- 🐾 SAFE AND SECURE 🐾 Keep your pet comfortable and secure in the Pet Playpen. Reinforced with attached floor mat to ensure your pet's safety. Spacious interior gives your pet room to play.
- 🐾 SUPERIOR DESIGN 🐾 Roomy 8-Panel design with protected seams and reinforced corners. Made from durable water-resistant materials. Removable zippered top can be removed easily removed for indoor use & closed for outdoor use to provide shade. Zippered door provides easy in/out access for your pet. Close the door to keep your pet safely inside.
- 🐾 PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT 🐾 Great for Indoor and Outdoor use. Lightweight, yet strong makes this ideal for traveling, camping and easy mobility. Comes with convenient carrying case.
- 🐾 NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, EASY STORAGE 🐾 Pops up in seconds with no need for any assembly. Folds flat when not in use for easy carrying and storing.
- 🐾 BONUS INCLUDED! 🐾 The Portable Pet Play Pen comes along with a convenient carry case and a collapsible 16 oz. food bowl. Ideal for Travel.
Our View: Overall, the YoYo Moon 46” D X 30” H may be best for short periods of time. Great style and color choices, but always room for improvement.
ToysOpoly 45″ PlayPen
ToysOpoly manufactured this unique pet playpen that can be used both indoors and outdoors. Your dog will be amazed and enthralled by this capacious play area. The pen has a diameter of 45 inches and a height of two feet tall! Take a look for yourself: http://amzn.to/2zqVNeC
Twin doors makes entering and exiting the playpen easy for your four-legged friend. The mesh is placed to allow proper airflow. This way, your dog doesn’t get overheated and can receive fresh air. Since the playpen can be used outside, there is a zipper on top to protect your dog from the sun’s rays. At the bottom, a zipper is placed and four stainless steel anchors can be placed in the group to keep the playpen right-side up and avoid a collapse.
- Durable & waterproof material
- Large and full of space
- Easy entry and exit
- Easy assembly
- Easy for dog to escape
- Bottom area is weak
- Zippers break easily
Our View: It is a product worth trying and can be used to hold your puppy for small periods of time. You will able to put it together and store it for later use. This can be a great addition to the home.
IRIS – Pet Playpen with DoorWhite
Unlike the previously shown dog playpens, this one isn’t made of fabric or steel. Avoid an old rusty or dingy and purchase a heavy-duty, robust plastic playpen by IRIS. This white cage has great dimensions (35.25″L x 35.25″W x 24″H).
The IRIS 24” can be easily transported from one area to another. Indoor and outdoor use is made possible with sturdy, interlocking panels. Buy the product here on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2zsigaY
- Plenty of space to play and exercise
- Made of high quality plastic
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Security roof made of mesh materials
- Steel door latches keep the door closed
- Interlocking panels for simple assembly
- Difficult to fold
- Easy to jump out of without roof
- Roof isn’t very strong
New World Pet Products B550-24 Foldable Exercise Pet Playpen, Black, Small/24" x 24"
3 used from $ 25.07
- Exercise Pen has 8 connected panels (each panel 24W x 24H Inches) to create 16 SQFT living area | Playpen is ideal for small dogs up to 16 inches tall
- Portable Exercise Pen is great for indoor & outdoor use, a black rust-preventive e-coat protects the dog playpen from the elements & included ground stakes keep the pen anchored to the ground
- No tools required. Simply unfold, shape & connect dog playpen together, exercise pen can be set-up in seconds & folds flat for easy storage or travel
- Puppy playpen includes 4 ground stakes, 4 secure locking thumb snaps & can be used in conjunction w/ a metal dog crate to expand your dog's living area
- Exercise pen works great as a puppy playpen or as an exercise area for non-climbing small animals including Rabbits, Ducks, Turtles & Guinea Pigs
Our View: Aside from a few weaknesses, this playpen would be great to own for your furry loved one.
Owning a playpen can come in handy when you are busy. However, it is no substitution to allowing your dog go outside or play in the house. Be mindful when using a playpen; would you prefer to be inside a playpen all of the time instead of running and getting some sunshine?